Thursday, October 6, 2016

English as a Second Language Lesson plan --Giving Advice



Tomorrow is my advanced class at the William K Sanford library.
The subject will be on giving advice. I may try to tie the lesson in with the recent election debates. (Although if I do that then I guess I will have to actually watch at least part of the debates, something so far I have done successfully.) I suspect I shall suggest the students give advice to the candidates on how to act better in the debates.



Sample lesson plan



goal




Student will be better prepared to give advice using modals.

Objective


Students will be able to make sentences with the following modals used in both a positive and negative way.
1.       Could    / couldn’t
2.       Should  / shouldn’t
3.       Must  /mustn’t



Ice- breaker
Review



Introduce self to students
Tell the students I am here for a job interview.
What should I do?
(NOTE THAT THIS IS INCORPORATED INTO THE LECTURE)

Lecture / explanation





SEE NOTES

Exercise / practice




Pass out worksheet


Assessment



Look at worksheet

Possible Homework




???

Materials not covered that could be used for follow up, review and expansion:
1.        Unreal conditionals (two great songs for this are “If I were a rich man” and “If I had a million dollars.”)
2.       Dear Abby  




The lecture notes


Lecture –Giving Advice

         1.   Introduce the subject of giving advice
Explain my problem –job interview
INTERACTION: Explain I will need advice, but that comes later. 

          2.   Ask them for examples of problems. 
INTERACTION:  Write them on the board.  

           3.   Introduce the constructions “should,” “shouldn’t” and “should not.”
INTERACTION:  –PRONUNCIATION PRACTICE
               
Explain how to use them in a phrase or sentence.
Give some examples.
“if you are hungry, you ______________ eat.”
“if you are thirsty, you ______________ drink.”
“If you are tired, you ____________ sleep.”

AND THE
“If you are tired, you ______________ drive.”
“If you are angry, you ______________ speak.”
“if you are sad, you _____________ watch sad movies.”  
LOOK AT THE EXAMPLES OF PROBLEMS
INTERACTION: Discuss what people should and shouldn’t do.

IF TIME ALLOWS EXPLAIN  “must” and “must not” and “could”

GO BACK TO THE EXAMPLES AND PRACTICE  

Here's a useful link on how to teach this.:    http://busyteacher.org/3903-how-to-teach-giving-advice.html

And here's a useful worksheet you can pass out to your students:  http://www.esl-lounge.com/student/grammar/2g18-should-shouldnt-exercise.php



Good luck, if you use this, please give credit where credit is due. (Including to the folks I linked to,) and leave your comments please,



No comments:

Post a Comment